Retro Videogame Bootsale Bargains

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Boxed Nintendo Entertainment Sysyem and 2 lightguns


Boxed Nintendo Entertainment Sysyem and 2 lightguns
Originally uploaded by blackadderhall.

This was today's "megafind". We'd gotten to the bootsale earlier today as my nemesis "the bag man" always seems to get the goodies before us. So, we got to the bootsale about 6:30 and as you can imagine, people were still setting up. Had a quick look around and "bag man" was nowhere to be seen. Off we trundled round the stalls not hoping to find anything half as good as the previous day's finds.

First find of the day was a couple of Now That's What I Call Music albums (3&4) - so we picked them up for £1 each. Then we got a copy of Spice World for the PlayStation for £1. Walking up to where the cars had just stopped and were still in the process of setting up I spied an old bloke emptying a van and noticed a rather large arcade stick propped up against the van. Upon enquiry, he said he wanted £15 for it as it was in a nice big box (the guy clearly had no idea). I explained that it was for a machine that wasn't even made anymore and was probably worth about £5. He gave me the old "i'm a pensioner" sob story and said he'd sell it for £7. I offered him 6 and he gave in. YaaaaY..

Little else was to be had and we were almost ready to go home. Still no sign of "bag man".. However, I wasn't the only person there on the lookout for a retro bargain or 3. I'd spotted a guy feverishly looking through a bag of PS2 games and made note. We were on the last row of cars and we'd just walked past the other retro buyer. We walk quite quickly and so got a bit ahead of him. Then I spotted it!! A plastic tub filled to the top with NES games.. However a third bargain hunter had just asked the guy how much he wanted for it.. The seller said "make me an offer".. So I sniped! I made my attack "I'll give ya £20 for it" just as the other bargain hunter approached the stall. The other guy buggered off clearly dissapointed at my attack on his purchase. I offered a higher than normal bid as I know that the other two guys around me would have taken it if not - and i wasn't about to let that happen. As I emptied the tub of its contents, the other retro hunter looked on with envy in his eyes.. Mwaaaaaaahhhaahahahaha.

Turns out though that the machine was in quite horrible condition and we spent all afternoon cleaning it and the games. The joypads had mold (furry thick mold) growing on them. ewwwwww

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home